Saturday, August 3, 2013

Papaya salad (Som Tum)



Yum yum gimme some!

This salad is one of this spiciest things I've ever eaten. Probably why I'm obsessed with it.
Every time I would go out for Thai food (which was a lot!) I would order Som Tum. 
THEN I learned how to make it myself so I could have it anytime I wanted it. 
Duh, right?!



1 lb green papaya, shredded
3 red Thai chilies (these suckers are HOT! so beware)
4 garlic cloves
3 Tbs fish sauce
2 Tbs sugar
2 limes
handful green beans
handful grape tomatoes

-Mash the garlic and chilies with a mortar and pestle. (I don't own one, so I just used a big bowl and the bottom of a plastic measuring cup.)
-Add papaya.
-Add sugar. Mash it up.
-Then the fish sauce.
-Add green beans (try to "bruise" the beans.)
-Add the lime juice.
-And finally the tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment